Let's get one thing clear – these are a treat – not a daily indulgence (whenever I post sweet recipes I get comments about how cavemen wouldn't eat dessert, yet they're also the most popular recipes I post!).
As the weather's been a bit cooler, it's been the perfect time to get my dehydrator out. This recipe was a case of making do with what I had and seeing what I could come up with, but very pleased with the results.
If you don't have a dehydrator, you can use your oven I believe, but do some research first. If you're keen to try a dehydrator (and I highly recommend them), you can go really cheap like this one, or go all out on an Excalibur like this.
- 20 small medjool dates
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 10 strawberries
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- Few drops vanilla essence
- Pit the dates and leave them to soak for a few minutes in a cup of water
- I was too mean to buy expensive almond meal, so I put the almonds and cashews in a paper bag on a heavy chopping board, and bashed with a rolling pin until they were almond completely ground down. If you have almond meal - you're done!
- Put the date mixture into a blender and pulse until the mixture is consistent, then add in the ground nuts and strawberries. Add in the vanilla and cacao and blend until it's thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Spoon onto a dehydrator sheet and flatten with the back of the spoon to make the cookie shapes.
- I dehydrated at 145 degrees for about 20 hours, but keep checking as you may prefer a different texture.