Cherry Ripes are the oldest chocolate bar in Australia – and hugely popular.
My problem with Cherry Ripes is the ingredients: –
Sugar, Coconut, Glace cherries (cherries, sugar, flavour, colour (129)), Wheat Glucose syrup, Cocoa mass, Sweetened condensed milk (milk concentrate, sugar, lactose), Vegetable fat, Milk solids, Cocoa butter, Cocoa powder, Invert sugar, Gelatine, Emulsifiers (soy lecithin, 476), Flavours, Colours (102, 123), Mineral salt (500). May contain traces of Nuts. Dark Chocolate contains Cocoa Solids 43%.
So whilst they do contain cherries, they aren’t fresh cherries, and they come along with sugar, artificial flavours and colours, wheat, “vegetable” fat and soy lecithin; no thanks!
I saw cherries for the first time in the supermarket this morning (summer is well and truly on it’s way!), so thought it was about time I made a paleo approved version of Cherry Ripes.
- 150g raw almonds
- 70g raw pecans
- 12 medjool dates
- 175g fresh cherries (weighed with stones)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- a pinch of salt
- 30g shredded coconut
- I put the nuts in my blender with the salt and blended until most of the big pieces had ground down.
- I set the nuts aside and then removed the stones from the cherries and dates.
- I then blended the cherries, dates and oil before adding this paste to the ground nuts, along with the shredded coconut.
- I then mixed everything together thoroughly into a ball and rolled it out between two pieces of grease proof paper.
- I put the rolled out mixture in the fridge for half an hour, before cutting it into cherry ripe length strips.
WANT ME TO EMAIL YOU THIS RECIPE?
Enter your details and check your email!
Whilst dates are natural “sugar bombs”, my paleo cherry ripes have no added sweeteners. As an occasional treat these are a much better alternative – and I happen to think far tastier!
I’d love to hear what you think!