What better way to finish off a paleo burger, than with a generous serving of home-made relish? This relish is tomato and chilli – but unlike most relish recipes, I’ve used medjool dates instead of sugar to add some sweetness.
If you like your relish hot, add some more chillies to your mixture.
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- ½ eggplant (aubergine)
- 3 medjool dates, diced
- 80ml red wine vinegar
- 4 chillies, chopped (try a mixture of red and green)
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- celtic sea salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a low heat
- Add the onion and garlic, and fry until they start to turn soft & translucent
- Add in the eggplant and dates, and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often
- Pour in the red wine vinegar and reduce the temperature to a simmer. Simmer until the liquid has reduced to approximately half its original volume
- Add in the chillies, fennel, coriander and tomatoes, the reduce the heat to a low setting and stir regularly
- After about half an hour, season, then remove from the heat. Allow to cool before serving.
WANT ME TO EMAIL YOU THIS RECIPE?
Enter your details and check your email!