Once you've perfected your Paleo meals, you might need to work on making sure you have a few Paleo snack ideas in your repertoire, to fit it with your Paleo diet. Here is the list of Paleo snacks you've been waiting for!
Ideally, if you have a good Paleo breakfast and lunch, you’ll often find you don’t feel hungry and don’t need to snack. If you do find yourself hungry between meals, try eating more at meals (are you consuming enough satiating fat in your meals?). Also, check out the recipe book I've just written with loads of Paleo Breakfast recipes to inspire you.
There are always occasions where it’s good to have some healthy Paleo snacks prepared, or in mind. This way when hunger strikes, you won’t ruin your Paleo diet. There are hundreds of great Paleo and Primal snack ideas and 75 ideas in the list below. With a bit of preparation, there will never be any need to hit the vending machine or go for an unhealthy option.
Some of these ideas are more Primal/ Lacto-Paleo with the inclusion of dairy. If you tolerate dairy, get the best quality full-fat you can. Raw dairy is even better.
Brace yourself – this is a long list. Most of the ideas are quick and easy – so there’s no excuse not to keep in Paleo!
Paleo Snack Options For Work
It’s a great plan to have an emergency Paleo kit in your desk at work. This way whether your caught sort, or don’t have time for lunch, you always have a fast Paleo snack at your fingertips. If you’re buying pre packages tins and packets, make sure you check the ingredients and get the best quality available. These options should store and keep well for a while in your desk; perfect for an emergency stash!
1. A tin of tuna or salmon
2. A good quality packet of beef jerky (or make your own)
3. Put together a trail mix of your favourite nuts and seeds
4. Some dark chocolate
5. Larabars are a good emergency option
6. Coconut flakes will also store well
7. A jar of coconut oil and spoon will provide some good fat when you need it most
Kids Paleo Snack Options
Children tend to eat more fruit than adults, but these ideas will be good for adult snacks too.
8. Apple & cheese slices
9. Fruit balls (made with a melon baller) in coconut milk
10. Turkey roll-ups with cucumber, tomato, grated carrot and avocado inside
11. Make “chicken nuggets” coated in coconut flour and egg
12. Wrap melon in ham
It doesn't get much easier than these snack ideas
13. An avocado and a spoon
14. Peeled, hard-boiled eggs
15. Black and green olives
16. Fruit in coconut milk
17. Seasonal fruit on it’s own
18. A young fresh coconut
19. Pork rinds/ crackling (ideally home-made, if not, make sure it’s good quality with minimal ingredients!)
20. Coconut yoghurt
Movie Snack Ideas
Instead of a bucket of popcorn and soda, you can easily keep it Paleo with these movie snack ideas
21. Activate, dry roast and season some cashews, pecans and walnuts
22. Spicy almonds
23. Dried seaweed (make your own, or buy – checking the ingredients!)
24. Coconut flakes are a great ready to eat snack
25. A medley of berries (i.e. strawberries, cherries and blueberries) with coconut flakes
26. A dried fruit mix
28. Pigs in blankets
Late night, bedtime and midnight snacks seem to be a common habit for a lot of people. Here are some Paleo supper ideas you can try before bed, that won’t ruin a day of great nutrition.
29. Make up some almonds, walnuts and berries in a bowl of coconut milk
30. A bowl of Paleo granola or No-Oatmeal
31. Some full fat yoghurt
32. Smoked salmon
Airport and Flying Paleo Snack Options
Given the unhealthy options available at airport and on most flights, it’s a great plan to come prepared with your own Paleo snacks. Check the security requirements at the airports you’re travelling through to determine which of the following options will be allowed on your airplane. Hopefully with unopened packets, you should have no problems, but do check first!
33. Smoked meat and high quality salami (this should store well)
34. Good quality cheese
35. Coconut Butter
36. A sealed packet of nuts and seeds
37. A jar of pickles (check the ingredients!)
On the Go & Travel Paleo Snack Ideas
When you have to travel for work, or don’t have time, these options will work well on the go.
38. Make up a batch of egg muffins to store in the fridge and grab as required
41. A tin of smoked oysters
42. Diced meat and veg
43. Make up some devilled eggs ready to go
44. Keep some bacon pieces in the fridge
45. Dehydrate some apple slices
46. Make veggie chips with sweet potatoes, kale, brussel sprouts, pumpkin or zucchini to take with you
47. There are a few Paleo Packs on the markets idea for travelling with
Pre and Post Workout Paleo Snacks
Before and after a workout your nutrition requirements are different; here are some ideas to give you a good protein boast.
48. Protein Shakes; whilst not exactly “whole foods” there are some great Primal protein powders available
49. Chicken and avocado is a great snack to take to the gym
50. Make some primal energy protein bars
51. Leftover meat and mustard (or try making a Paleo mayonnaise)
Weight Loss Paleo Snack Suggestions
When you have weight to lose, snacks are dangerous territory! Some snacks, such as nuts and fruit are easy to overdo and can sabotage your weight loss efforts. If you’re constantly hungry, make sure your meals are sufficient and try adding more fat. These low-calorie snack ideas are going to be a better bet for weight loss on a Paleo diet
52. Make some rice-less Sushi using nori wraps, lengths of veggies, avocado, egg and fish
53. Make a small omelette with your favourite vegetables
54. Carrot and celery sticks with an almond and cashew butter dip
55. Fresh salmon on cucumber slices
56. Cucumber sticks with a guacamole dip
57. Capsicum (Bell Pepper) strips with a homemade spicy salsa
58. Mini bacon & guacamole “sandwiches”
59. Cherry tomatoes and ham
60. Roast vegetables with a ranch dipping sauce
62. Make up some nori “chips” in the oven with coconut oil and seasoning with spices
After Dinner Paleo Snack Ideas
Instead of a dessert or pudding, these snack ideas should fulfil the need for “something” sweet, without going overboard!
63. Keep it simple with some squares of very dark chocolate
64. Try chocolate coated bacon pieces, unusual, but delicious
65. Make some chocolate coated almond and coconut bites
66. Dip strawberries and blueberries in chocolate
67. Make some “Paleo Cookies” using almond meal
68. Make coconut flour berry muffins/ “cakes”
69. Coconut flour pancakes
70. Frozen grapes
71. Baked apples with cinnamon and coconut cream
72. A simple fruit salad
Drink Your Paleo Snack
With a flask or thermos and some preparation, you can have a drinkable snack with you wherever you go.
73. Bone broth
75. A green smoothie (remember to add in a fat source like avocado or coconut milk from your favourite recipe)
Has your snacking frequency changed since you've been following a Paleo diet? What are your favourite snacks? I’d love to hear more suggestions to add to the list of Paleo snack ideas; let me know in the comments below! And don't forget to check out my Paleo Snack recipe ebook for full recipes and even more Paleo snack ideas!