Perfect for those long, lazy Sundays when there isn’t anything to do but sit and wallow in the wonderful fragrances spilling out from your oven, this no fuss ‘One Pot’ is about as simple and as satisfying as it gets. The unique flavours of the root vegetables marry together perfectly with the light citrus ‘zing’ – and best of all it saves on the washing up!
Citrus Chicken, Parsnip and Swede One Pot Ingredients:
- 1 medium (approx. 1.5kg) chicken
- 3 red onions
- 2 oranges
- 3 / 4 medium sized parsnips
- 2 medium sized swedes
- 3 / 4 carrots
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large handful fresh lemon thyme
- Half a lemon
- 1 glass of white wine (or stock / water if preferred)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Citrus Chicken, Parsnip and Swede One Pot How To:
1) Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4. Take your largest lidded ovenproof cooking pot, halve two of the onions and one of the oranges and lay them at the bottom of the pot before resting the chicken on top.
2) Peel and roughly chop the remaining onion and the rest of your veg. Nestle them in the pot along with the chicken.
3) Stuff the chicken with the garlic cloves, bay leaves, half of the thyme and the lemon. Squeeze over the juice of the remaining orange and scatter the rest of the thyme into the pot. Season well, before pouring in the white wine / stock.
4) Cover and bake for an hour, before removing the lid and raising the heat to 220C / 450F / Gas Mark 7. Cook for a further 25 minutes, until the chicken is nicely browned. Baste the meat and stir the veg once or twice if needs be.
5) Check the chicken if fully cooked through by piercing the breast with a knife. If the juices run clear, then you’re ready to serve. Enjoy alongside your favourite greens or a fresh salad.