Cajun seasoning is one of my personal favourites, but sadly the shop bought combinations are usually laden with salt and other horrible additives. Nonetheless, it’s super easy to make it yourself, and tastes way better too! It works great with Chicken and Pork, so I like to make sure I've always got some in the cupboard made up. The combination of the punchy Cajun flavours with the natural sweetness of the tomatoes and the creamy avocado in this salad is utterly divine.
- 4 free range chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 2 ripe, medium sized avocados, peeled and chopped
- Salad leaves of your choice: a mix of rocket; spinach and watercress works a treat!
- 200g Cherry Tomatoes, halved.
- Juice of 1 lemon
For the Cajun Seasoning:
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- A little unrefined sea salt, to taste
1) Dice the chicken breasts. In a bowl, drizzle half the lemon juice, making sure to watch out for any seeds, over the meat. Evenly coat it in the spice mixture, and set aside.
2) In a large salad bowl, combine your mix of salad leaves with the chopped avocado and the cherry tomatoes. Toss in the remaining lemon juice – this will stop the avocado from turning brown.
3) Heat a little oil in a pan to a high heat. Add the chicken, and fry until cooked through and golden brown on both sides. Add to the salad, and enjoy!
I’d love to hear how this Cajun seasoning worked for you, and what else you tried it with! Please share in the comments below.