With all of the festivities at this time of year, you might be worried about keeping it Paleo? Well, with a bit of planning and organisation, there’s no need to worry about foregoing your health this Christmas.
- Remember how you feel after you eat gluten/ drink alcohol/ eat something that doesn’t agree with you.
- Organise to host your own party/ dinner, early, to ensure you have control over the menu. You’ll be surprised how many friends will ask you for the recipes!
- If you’re going out of Christmas events try eating before you leave, as when hunger strikes it’s harder to avoid the bad options
- Call the venue ahead to check on the menu options, and see how they can accommodate you. You’ll find many places happy to tweak their Christmas menu to accommodate.
- If you’re going to a friend’s event, bring your own dishes to ensure there will be some good options you can have
- Don’t let anyone pressure you into eating badly – often people seem keen to sabotage the good efforts of others (perhaps because it makes them feel better about their own bad choices) – so be prepared!
- Don’t be afraid to lie – sometimes it’s just easier to say you have an allergy or intolerance instead of explaining why you eat this way (have you ever done this?)
- If you have the chance to organise a Christmas event yourself, choose a venue with more paleo options – or better still arrange an event that isn’t based around food.
- If you do fall off the wagon, tomorrow is another day. Don’t beat yourself up over it – but don’t let the slip justify more bad eating! Move on and eat well again.
How do you find sticking to a Paleo diet at this time of year? What are your top tips for success?