Bread. On a Paleo diet – it is one of the first things to go; whereas on a SAD diet it is a staple. It’s no wonder giving up bread is such a shock to people considering a Paleo Diet.
“I couldn’t live without bread”
“I’d never be able to give up bread”
“What do you eat if you don’t have bread?”
I’m sure you’ve heard these comments before too. Perhaps you found giving up bread to be the hardest thing about transitioning to a Paleo diet – or the one thing that is preventing you from going fully Paleo?
The longer you abstain from bread, the less you’ll miss it. There are some great recipes for Paleo Breads made with coconut flour or almond meal; but instead of trying to substitute one type of flour for another – how about some of these alternatives to your favourite SAD bread meals?!
Sandwiches are one of the most popular lunch options, mainly because they are convenient to eat on the go, without getting your hands covered in food! They’re filling and you can prepare them ahead of time. Perhaps you’re missing sandwiches, filled rolls or wraps? Instead – why not try these Paleo sandwich options instead: –
- Make wraps with lettuce (try romaine leaves) to hold the filling in place
- Use cooked cabbage leaves to encase your filling
- For an iodine boast and great flavour make your wraps with Nori (or other seaweed) wraps
- You can also make (or buy – but check the ingredients) coconut wraps
- Cut a large capsicum (bell pepper) into two flat pieces for a Paleo alternative to sandwich bread
- Use a knife and fork! I often order a sandwich in a café – without the bread. Shop bought and restaurant sandwiches often hide very small fillings – but when you order it without the bread you usually get a far more generous portion of the filling!
Paleo Burger Buns
The best think about a burger is the meat – never the bun. So go bun-less, or try these: –
- Chop the stalk of two large flat or Portobello mushrooms – the perfect size for a burger bun
- Encase your burger patty with the top and bottom of a large tomato
Peanut Butter Sandwiches
White bread filled with peanut butter seems to be a popular pre-Paleo combination. But let’s face it – it’s the peanut butter that’s popular – not the bread in this snack. Clearly peanut butter is out as it’s a legume – so try
- Nut butter (almond butter, macadamia nut butter, cashew nut butter – or make your own) and use as a dip for crunchy raw vegetables like carrots, celery, capsicum (bell peppers) and cucumber.
- Or slice some eggplant and layer on the nut butter!
Egg and Soldiers
Missing dipping slices of toast into soft boiled eggs? Once you try dipping in roasted vegetables, you’ll wish you’d always done it!
Lasagne & Garlic Bread
Once you’ve gone to the effort of making a Paleo lasagne, roast some zucchini sticks and garlic as a far more enjoyable accompaniment.
Try using a nut flour as a Paleo alternative
If you’re used to a crunch with your soup, try some pork crackling (rinds) as a Primal alternative!
Which bread meals or snacks do you miss the most? I’d love to hear what your favourite bread substitutes are!