There is so much jargon used in the Paleo-sphere and people often ask what a particular abbreviation means. This is my list of what I think are the 20 most commonly used terms.
1. N=1 This is used to indicate a personal experiment; your own experience
2. SAD The Standard American Diet (but I think this works just as well with Australian or Anglo too) – i.e. the western diet.
3. CW Conventional Wisdom, generally of the “eat more whole grains” variety
4. GF Gluten-Free
5. IF Intermittent Fasting (though often used talking about any type of fasting, event a regular daily fast – which seems to miss the point of “intermittent”?)
6. NAD Neolithic Agents of Disease; Dr. Kurt Harris’s phrase for un-Paleo foods
7. WAPF The Weston A Price Foundation
8. MUFA/ PUFA Mono-Unsaturated Fat(ty Acids)/ Poly-Unsaturated Fatty Acids
9. CLA Conjugated Linoleic Acid; A beneficial MUFA
10. SFA Saturated Fat(ty Acids)
11. LCT/ MCT Long Chain Triglycerides/ Medium Chain Triglycerides
12. EVCO/ EVOO Extra Virgin Coconut Oil/ Extra Virgin Olive Oil
13. CLO Cod Liver Oil
14. HDL/ LDL High Density Lipoprotein/ Low Density Lipoprotein
15. CHO Carbohydrates (Carbon Hydrogen Oxygen)
16. LC/ VLC/ ZC Low Carb/ Very Low Carb/ Zero Carb
17. CF/ WOD Crossfit/ Work-out of the Day
18. HIIT/ HIT High Intensity (Interval) Training
19. PWO Post Work-out
20. VFF Vibram Five Fingers barefoot shoes
So, what’ve I missed off the list? Which Acronyms and Abbreviations keep cropping up in your reading?