Eggs really do make the best breakfasts, but sometimes it’s all too easy to get stuck in a rut by cooking them the same way every morning. Mix things up by giving this frittata a try – it's quick, nutrient dense and super tasty. A perfect way to start your day; with a delicious combination of protein, healthy fats and brightly coloured vegetables!
I’ve used baby leaf spinach in this recipe because I love its mild, creamy flavour – but any kind of spinach will do. I’ve also gone for smoked mackerel, but fresh would be equally delicious if you’re not in a rush.
Red Capsisum Frittata Ingredients:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 handful baby leaf spinach
- 1 fillet (roughly 80g) smoked mackerel
- Salt and pepper
Red Capsisum Frittata How To:
1) Beat the eggs in a large bowl and set aside. Preheat your grill to high.
2) Heat the coconut oil to a medium heat in a heavy based frying pan. Throw in the diced red pepper and fry for a minute or two until softened. Add the spinach to the pan and cook for 30 seconds – just enough to wilt it – before transferring the contents of the pan into the bowl of beaten eggs. Mix well, before flaking in the Mackerel and adding a little seasoning.
3) Return the pan to a high heat, then add the frittata mixture. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes on one side, before checking the bottom with a spatula to make sure it’s a good colour underneath.
4) Now is the crucial part to gain that fluffy ‘soufflé’ like texture that is so important in a good frittata. Place the whole pan under the grill for a couple of minutes, so that it starts to rise. When it stops bubbling and is well risen, turn off the grill, remove the pan and fold over the frittata. The result? The crispest yet fluffiest omelette you will ever have eaten.