Soft, mellow and oh so satisfying, this recipe makes a great alternative to roasting your chicken the normal way. It's incredibly easy too, as its all done in one pot!
- 1 free range, pasture fed organic chicken, roughly 1kg in weight
- 40 cloves of garlic
- 200ml red wine vinegar
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 2 Bay leaves
- Olive Oil
- Half a lemon
Chicken How To:
1) Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / gas mark 4
2) Drizzle the chicken with plenty of olive oil and rub with the sea salt and black pepper. Separate 40 garlic cloves – no need to peel them though!
3) Stuff the chicken with half of the thyme, the lemon half, and about 10 of the garlic cloves. In a casserole dish, scatter the remaining cloves of garlic, the rest of the thyme, the rosemary, the bay leaves and rest the chicken on top. Pour in the vinegar.
4) Put the lid on the dish, and roast for about half an hour. Add a little hot water to stop it drying out, then return to the oven for another half hour.
5) Remove the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes. This will make the chicken turn golden brown.
Works great with a green salad and some roasted sweet potatoes!