Seasonal, saucy and oh so summery, enjoy these Sicilian inspired grilled vegetables at the height of summer when they are at the peak of their powers. Excellent with some roast pork loin or grilled chicken.
Sicilian Vegetables Ingredients:
- 1 green capsicum (bell pepper), cut into chunks
- 1 yellow capsicum (bell pepper), cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 large zucchini (courgette), sliced thickly
- 1 aubergine, cut into chunks
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp capers
- 3 dried figs, diced
- Small handful fresh basil leaves
Sicilian Vegetables How To:
Heat the grill to a medium – high heat. In a heat proof roasting dish, drizzle the capsicum (peppers), aubergine and courgette with 3 tbsp of the olive oil and season well with some salt and pepper. Spread the vegetables out as well as possible, then place under the grill for 20 minutes, turning every now and then.
In a large, heavy based pan, fry the onion, garlic, chilli and oregano in the remaining olive oil for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes, stir and simmer for 3 – 4 minutes until they begin to reduce down.
Add the grilled veg to the pan, and toss well in the sauce. Add 200ml freshly boiled water along with the capers and figs. Cover and simmer for around 15 minutes.
Serve immediately, garnished with the torn fresh basil leaves.