One of my favourite curries is Thai Green Curry. Hot and spicy, it’s always a winner. It’s also so easy to make, even if I wasn’t dubious about the ingredients in restaurant versions, I would still prefer to make my own.
Whilst it might “traditionally” be served with rice, my version is far better, served with 100% Paleo cauliflower rice.
Thai Green Curry Ingredients:
The Curry Paste:
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 lemongrass stalk, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoon coriander stems, chopped
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 4 bird’s eye chillies
- 2 tablespoons chopped lemongrass
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
For the Curry:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoon green curry paste (as made, above)
- 125ml/4fl oz chicken stock
- 250ml/8fl oz coconut cream
- 1 anchovy, finely chopped
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 500g/1lb chicken breast fillets, cut into chunks
- 400g aubergine, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- 3 green chillies, deseeded and sliced
Firstly, make the paste. In a small pan, heat the peppercorn, coriander and cumin seeds, ensuring they do not burn, until they release their scent.
Add the toasted herbs to the remaining paster ingredients in a blender, and blend until it becomes a thick paste. You can store the paste in a jar in the fridge for a week or so.
Over a high heat, melt the coconut oil in a large pan. Brown the chicken pieces, then set them aside. In the remaining oil, cook the paste for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add to the pan the stock, coconut cream, anchovy and leaves, then reduce the heat. Cook for 6-7 minutes. Add in the chicken and cook for another 6 or 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add in the remaining ingredients and cook for a few more minutes. To serve, top with the basil leaves and the chilli. Serve immediately with a helping of homemade cauliflower rice.
Do you make your Thai green curry the same way as I do? I’d love to hear what you do different, in the comments below!