I'm a big fan of herbal tea, and one of my favourite blends is Chai. This is a twist on the classic that is slightly sweeter and creamier thanks to the coconut milk. It still retains all the spiced, warming goodness of standard chai though, so brew up a cup for everyone and unwind for the evening. If, like me, you're a former chai latte fan, but no longer consuming dairy, this could be exactly the alternative you've been searching for. If only my local coffee shop could put this on the menu…
- 100ml full fat coconut milk
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick, snapped in half
- Add the coconut milk to a saucepan with the cardamom, black pepper, nutmeg and honey. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil your kettle and pour 750ml hot water into a teapot over the cloves and cinnamon. Leave to infuse for a couple of minutes - or until it reaches your desired strength.
- Strain the tea into four cups, and pour in the milk. Taste, and adjust the sweetness if necessary.
I'd love to know what you drink during a typical (working?) day? Do you stick to water, or mix it up with some different types of teas and coffee?
So many people tell me that they really struggle with giving up soda when they make the transition to paleo. One thing that seems to help is making sure you have some good herbal teas to hand to help you get over the diet coke addiction! Another thing that I've seen recommended is soda water (or sparkling water) with some fresh lime.