A ranch dressing is great to go with crudités of raw vegetables like carrots, cucumber and broccoli. Unfortunately ranch dressing is usually not paleo thanks to all of the dairy, as it's typically made with buttermilk – or sometimes yoghurt or sour cream. The other problem is the shop bought stuff. Yuck! Have you seen the ingredients?
This is the list of ingredients in the popular Paul Newman brand of ranch dressing:
Soyabean Oil, Water, Vinegar, Buttermilk Powder, Whey Powder, (Milk), Garlic (2.0%), Salt, Egg Yolk, Cane Sugar, Onion Powder, Food Acid (Lactic), Lemon Juice (0.1%), Natural Flavour (Vegetable Gum [ Acacia]), Parsley, Vegetable Gum (Xanthan), Spice.
Soybean oil, sugar and all of those “additions”, no thanks. So best to make your own, don't you think?
- 250ml (1 cup) paleo mayonnaise
- 250ml (1 cup) coconut milk
- Half a lemon, juiced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of paprika
- Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill (or half this quantity dried)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley (or half this quantity dried)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives (or half this quantity dried)
- Mix together the mayo, coconut milk and squeeze in the juice from the lemon
- Add in the garlic and dried ingredients thoroughly
- Mix in the fresh herbs
- Try with raw vegetables, or served with chicken wings.