Whilst home-made bone broth or chicken stock is pretty common place, people still seem to turn their noses up at Fish Stock. This is a huge shame, because it really doesn't get much more nutritious than this. Fish head stock is packed with fat soluble vitamins and crucially the thyroid gland, which gives us the thyroid hormone – hugely significant in our metabolism.
The other great thing about fish head stock? It's full of gelatin too. What more could you want?
- Carcasses of 4-5 whole non-oily fish
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped,
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- A few small bunches of parsley
- A couple of bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Put the fish, vegetables and apple cider vinegar in a large pan and cover with water
- Bring the pan to a boil
- Skim off any scum that comes to the surface and add the thyme and bay leaves
- reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for 4 to 24 hours depending on your schedule
- When finished, strain the mixture and store the liquid in air tight containers, such as jars.
- Label, and store in the fridge or freezer until you need it
WANT ME TO EMAIL YOU THIS RECIPE?
Enter your details and check your email!
Fish head stock is great in soup and as a base for many meals – or just keep it simple and heat it up with some veggies and fish, for a quick nutritious dinner.