This meatball recipe took a little while to perfect, but when I finally got there, the results were outstanding. The heat of the meatballs is balanced perfectly with the natural sweetness of the mango salsa (with an added ginger kick!). They can be pan fried or oven baked, and freeze really well too. Go on, whip up a big batch!
For the meatballs:
- 600g lamb mince
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
For the salsa:
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Juice and zest 1 lime
- Large chunk fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Meatballs How To:
1) To make the meatballs, mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl with your hands until thoroughly combined. Roll into golf ball sized meatballs – this recipe makes about 12.
2) To bake, line them on a baking tray topped with parchment paper and place on the top shelf of the oven at 180C/350F. To fry, heat a good chunk of coconut oil in a large, heavy based pan, and sizzle for around 12 minutes until thoroughly cooked through.
3) Whilst your meatballs are cooking using your chosen method, begin making the salsa by gently heating the coconut oil in a saucepan. Add the diced mango and cook for around 5 minutes until lightly caramelised. Add the pomegranate molasses and a splash of water and stir, before mixing in the remaining ingredients. Remove from the heat, and serve alongside the meatballs and veggies of your choice.