Szechuan pepper has to one of the most fun ingredients to cook with. Nicknamed ‘the tongue numbing flower pepper,’ this pepper is delightfully floral and leaves a distinct tingle in the mouth. It is also known to enhance certain taste receptors, often making the foods around it taste slightly sweeter! It works great with other spices like star anise, or in this case, Chinese 5 spice.
Szechuan Stir Fry Ingredients:
- 500g lean beef strips
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), deseeded and chopped into strips
- 1 zucchini (courgette), thinly sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp freshly ground Szechuan pepper
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 400g pak choi
- Juice of 1 lime
Stir Fry How To:
1) Heat a little oil in a frying pan to a medium heat. Brown the onions, then add the zucchini and red capsicum and stir fry for a minute or so until softened. Set aside.
2) In a bowl, combine the Szechuan pepper, 5 spice and ginger with the crushed garlic and lime juice to make a marinade. Toss over the beef, coating well.]
3) Raise the heat of the pan to high. Throw in the beef and stir fry for a couple of minutes – ideally, it will be cooked medium when served.
4) While the beef is cooking, wash the pak choi and separate the leaves. Lightly steam over some boiling water for 2 – 3 minutes.
5) Return the vegetables to the pan, add the lime juice, and fry for another minute or so (longer if you like your beef more well done). Remove from the pan, and serve with the steamed pak choi
What are your favourite stir fry ingredients?