Although a lot of South Indian recipes are vegetarian, there are a few gems that will really satisfy your carnivore cravings. In this Pepper Chicken recipe, Black Pepper is used as an ingredient, not a seasoning, so don’t hold back on the amount you use!
Pepper Chicken Ingredients:
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 x 400ml can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 handful fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Plenty of freshly ground Black Pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon
Pepper Chicken How To:
1) Season the diced chicken with the lemon juice, lots of black pepper, and a pinch of sea salt. Add a little more pepper just for safe keeping!
2) Heat half the oil in a pan to a high heat. Brown off the chicken for 3 – 4 minutes, then set aside.
3) Drain the meat juices from the pan, then return to a medium heat. Add the rest of the oil, then sauté the onions for a couple of minutes. Once they have turned a healthy golden brown, add the crushed garlic, ginger and tumeric, and allow to sweat for a few minutes to let the flavours release.
4) Add the chopped tomatoes, and simmer for two minutes. Now return the chicken to the pan with the chopped peppers. Turn up the heat, and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes, until the meat is really tender.
5) Remove the lid, and add the fresh coriander just before serving. Works a treat with lots of fresh steamed veggies or Cauliflower Rice.