If I’m on a day trip and taking a packed lunch, one of my ‘go to’ foods is a Paleo friendly wrap. These ones are collard wraps – which ideally lend themselves to the purpose. Seriously, who needs bread with options like this? They’re easy to make, super portable, and you just can’t beat the combination of flavours and textures that they bring.
The ‘wrap’ itself is just a vehicle to allow you to get the good stuff into your belly, so it doesn’t need to be a health hazard. If anything, swapping a SAD tortilla wrap for a rolled up lettuce or collard leaf improves the flavour and the texture (not to mention the healthiness) of your meal.
In this recipe, you have savoury, sweet, creamy and spicy all in one neat little package. Enjoy!
- 300g cooked and peeled prawns
- 1 large, ripe mango, diced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 ripe avocados
- Zest and juice 1 lime
- 6 spring onions
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 x large collard leaves
- In a bowl, toss together the prawns, mango, tomatoes and grated carrot.
- In a separate bowl, mash the avocados with the lime, spring onions, chilli and garlic.
- Lay the collard leaves out flat on a chopping board. Divide the prawn filling between the four, before slapping on a spoonful of the guacamole on each. Roll the collards up to make wraps, and hold them together by poking in a cocktail stick.
Do you often make paleo friendly wraps for lunch? What is your favourite medium to use for the wraps? Cabbage? Seaweed? Lettuce? Or something else? I'd love to hear!