Ever tried eating flowers? Not just any flowers of course, but so many are edible. I love marigolds in the garden, so thought I'd experiment with them in the kitchen. Turns out they have a bit of a citrus flavour, which went really well with the quick cucumber marigold pickle I made.
- Half a cucumber
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Petals of 1 marigold head, washed
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- Splash extra virgin olive oil
- Slice the cucumber and add the salt in a bowl, to draw the liquid out. Put the bowl in the fridge for an hour.
- Remove from the fridge and drain off all excess liquid.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir to combine and serve in a jar. This is a great side to take along to a picnic or barbecue.
Have you cooked with edible flowers before? I'd love to hear what you made and which flowers you used in the comments below.