I recently asked the fans of my Facebook Page The Paleo Network this question: “If you could go back and tell yourself a key health message ten years ago – what would it be?” What would your answer be?
There were hundreds of answers covering all sorts of aspects of physical & emotional health, here are some of them.
And sugar. This was (unsurprisingly) a very common theme. Here are some of the messages:
- No grains
- Grain brain
- Give up wheat
- Kick the sugar
- Don't eat sugar.
- Cut sugar n carbs
- Stop eating grains
- Put down the sugar!
- Don't. Eat. Grains.
- Go grain & sugar free
- Don't eat lots of bread!
- Don't eat so much sugar!
- Give up wheat and sugar.
- Eat less sugar and grains
- Don't eat grains or sugar!
- Stop eating bread and pasta
- Fat is not the enemy…sugar is!
- Don't eat candy or chocolate bars!
- Cut the bread bro and lay off the booze.
- Ditch the GRAINS, forget the SUGAAAAR!!!
- Fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar is the enemy.
- Reduce your carb intake, don't eat bread anymore!!!
- Avoid grains and sugar, they make you feel like crap.
- Give up sugar and grains. You honestly won't miss it!
- put down the loaf of bread and spinage dip!… I have a long list…
- Once a sweet tooth, always a sweet tooth! Cut out sugar from the diet!
- Stop all grain not just gluten don't look for substitutes there really enough to eat….
Easy on the vices
Alcohol and smoking also featured…
- Don't smoke
- Don't drink beer
- Drink less alcohol
- Ease up on alcohol
- Avoid alcohol better
- Don't start smoking again
- Don't smoke or hang out with those who do!!!!
- Cut the grains and sugar and it will be easier to quit smoking.
- Stop drinking alcohol it's poison. So is wheat dairy and sugar. Paleo paleo paleo
I thought more people would have commented about body weight and body image…
- Stop Eating!
- Don't get fat!
- You're not fat. Eat something
- Being fat is not genetic and you're not big boned.
Ditch the soda
Soda and fizzy drinks were also prominent in your messages to your younger self
- No soda. No diet soda.
- Stop drinking pop and fast food
- Drink water not coke or coke zero
- To never touch diet drinks or diet anything and drink lots of water!
Fitness was one of the most popular themes, with these messages being added:
- Do yoga
- Don't overtrain
- Stay strong fit and fast.
- Don't quit weekend sport
- Start CrossFit. Eat Paleo!
- Don't ever quit sport/exercise!!
- Don't stop exercising because of pregnancy
- Put down the sugar and lift weights…. heavy weights
- And start yoga young to keep u strong and flexible !!!
- Keep moving…don't stop the exercise…even for a week!
- Paleo and CrossFit….if only I had discovered this years ago!!
- Don't wait till you gain weight to start exercising. Biggest mistake I made!!!
- Go to the gym & get a trainer/training partner. I'd be so much further along in my physical development
And perhaps best of all, the random messages!
There are definitely some stories there…
- Speak up
- Sleep more.
- Stay consistent
- Don't marry him.
- Pack it in. Idiot!
- Bitcoins! Buy them!!!
- Omg! Where do I begin?!!
- Put the candy bar down fatty
- You really are allergic to dairy
- Stay away from the chocolate
- Stay focused don't get complacent
- 27 is not too young to have babies
- Don't get the flu shot and go Paleo
- Your friends and chidren are amazing
- Stay away from snotty nosed children!
- Thank god u took the advice to lose 95 kg.
- Stress less, not a food thing but a health thing
- Don't ever stop, that's what I tell the youngsters.
- Don't marry him! Hahaha. I would Def be healthier
- Dont listen to your mother… and dont eat like her….
- Take the time to feed your kids and yourself healthy!
- Enjoy the small things! Work to live, not live to work!!
- Stop making stupid excuses and get divorced now !!!
- Nothing can be fixed until you sort out that zinc deficiency.
- The habits I have will be the habits my kids will have. Eat clean!
- NOTHING and I mean nothing, taste as good as healthy feels!!!!!
- Don't take hormone contraceptive pills and quit that stressful job!
- You are worth loving and you don't have to turn to food to feel loved.
- Don't sweat it me, you are going to look better at 37 than you did at 27.
- I would tell me to keep eating clean and switch degrees to sports science!
- Don't shrug off the little things cause sometimes they mean there is a big thing.
- My biggest down fall, closely followed by, avoid chocolate – it is not a meal!!!!!
- Don't get lazy and give up. YOU'RE worth the EFFORT of cooking healthy food!!
- Everything you've been taught about nutrition was false. The food pyramid is upside down.
- Slow down, create more homemade meals (organic) than eating meals on the run (processed junk).
- Exercise, laugh, set goals be flexible, action is the key to fruition, rest, relish silence, no sugar, grains, no dairy
- Take a kids cooking class to master basic cooking skills – especially knife skills & don't be bloody lazy about eating properly!!!
- Do not do the endometriosis treatment that your supposed specialised GP said was latest and greatest. It will ruin your health forever…
- Don't have vital parts surgically removed unless you've been diagnosed with a deadly disease and the removal of said parts is the way to eliminate the disease.
So over to you… what message would you tell your ten-years-ago-self?