Paleo Toothpaste Recipe

by Suz on January 29, 2013 · 12 comments

in Hair & Beauty, Health, Paleo

Do you use regular shop bought toothpaste? You’re careful about what you eat – but what about what you brush your teeth with?

I just read the ingredients on two brands of toothpaste, Colgate and MacCleans – and was shocked by what they contained. I don’t even know what the ingredients actually are – and I certainly couldn’t find them at the farmers market. Here are just some of the common ingredients I saw…

Glycerin, Silica, Flouride, Sodium Methyl Cocol Taurate, Disodium Phosphate, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Saccharin, Methylparaben, Propylparabem C173360, C174160, Sorbitol, PVM/MA Copolymer, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS), Carrageenan, Triclosan, Mica, Brilliant Blue and Quinoline Yellow

Primal toothpaste natural ingredients SLS colgate maccleans chemicals homemade

Whilst you aren’t supposed to swallow toothpaste, it’s fairly obvious that the ingredients can get into your blood stream. And that’s just adults – do children really manage to spit it all out?

Animals don’t use toothpaste – and clearly a few hundred years ago we wouldn’t have been using such chemical laden products on our teeth. So is it really necessary?

Fluoride is a very controversial addition to toothpaste, and one that highly concerns me. From what I’ve read, Flouride seems to be highly toxic – and quite possibly not as great for teeth as the experts proclaim.

What’s The Alternative To Commercial Toothpaste?

Of course when you follow a Paleo diet, you won’t be eating the processed sugary foods that cause damage to teeth – this makes dental care a whole lot easier.

Instead of using a commercial toothpaste, you can go really basic and just floss and use baking soda to brush your teeth with. But baking soda can feel quite abrasive if you use it all the time – and also the taste might not be quite to your liking. You can also just use coconut oil. But, here’s a good recipe that I’ve tried. The peppermint oil takes the edge off the baking soda and leaves a “fresh” taste.

Primal homemade toothpaste recipe natural baking soda coconut oil peppermint

Ingredients:

• 8 teaspoons of baking soda
  • 5 teaspoons of coconut oil (exactly what you use to cook with – hopefully unrefined, extra virgin)
  • 10 drops of peppermint oil (adding cinnamon instead is another winning combination)

How To:

Mix the ingredients together thoroughly in a small pot.

When ready to used, scoop out onto your toothbrush with a small wooden stick (or similar)

Remember – It’s not going to taste like what you’ve been used to in the commercial toothpastes – but you’ll soon get used to it. Your health and teeth will thank you!

What do you use to clean your teeth? If you’ve got a favourite recipe, I’d love to see it in the comments below!

Terri Brown January 29, 2013 at 3:42 am

I use the same basic recipe that you gave, but I also add about a 1/2 teaspoon of stevia to it. It makes the taste better and stevia is supposed to be good for the health of your teeth.

sylvia January 30, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I thought I’d invented it and was going to share my toothpaste formula with you – but it’s basically the same as yours! I just make it up a bit at a time, enough for 3-4 days, no special proportions – just a teaspoon or so of bicarb (top quality), enough coconut oil to make a paste and I’ve also used aniseed oil, though peppermint is great, too. My teeth feel really pearly after use.

Phoebus January 30, 2013 at 3:55 pm

You should be more careful pushing the anti-fluoride barrow. It;s demonstrably safe and effective at reducing tooth decay.

Suz January 30, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Thanks for your comment Phoebus. It might be “safe” (though I’ve read a lot of studies that dispute that), but I’d rather use something “healthy” and “optimal”.

I think it’s important for people to do their own research and decide what’s best for them. But personally, I’d rather steer clear of fluoride.

Shoulz August 31, 2013 at 7:35 am

FLUORIDE IS MORE TOXIC THEN LEAD. HOW IS IT SAFE? IN 1930 WE THOUGHT THAT LEAD PAINT IS SAFE. IN A LITTLE WHILE WE’LL BE TERRIFIED ON THE CONSEQUENCES OF FLUORIDE. IT SHOULD BE OUTLAWED NOW !!!

Yurok November 5, 2013 at 6:08 am
Chris Jax January 30, 2013 at 10:10 pm

My brother an I started using Dirty Mouth Toothpowder:

It’s all natural, pretty tasty and comes in different flavours.

Marion January 31, 2013 at 2:42 am

I would be interested in knowing what licensed dentists think of this? This is interesting and something new to me. How many brushings does this recipe produce?
Thanks.

Marion January 31, 2013 at 2:44 am

OH, I forgot. There is a toothpaste specifically for dogs along with canine toothbrushes. They cannot not use the same type of toothpaste as humans use.

Aaron March 26, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I’d add that there is a “toothpaste” perfectly suitable for canines. It’s called big chunks of raw meat :). The sinking the teeth in and pulling behavior used tends to be a pretty good teeth cleaner! I’d assume that chewing on the bones (preferably non weight bearing if ruminants to avoid tooth breaking) would also help.

Belinda February 1, 2013 at 8:19 am

I’ve been meaning to try similar recipes but in the meantime I use Grants herbal and mineral toothpaste which contains no sugar, fluoride, aluminum or sls, and Coles stock it!

Phocion Timon February 3, 2013 at 5:25 am

By volume, a half-and-half mix of baking soda and montmorillonite clay.

The soda of course is alkaline, which raises hell with the environment of most organisms living in the light acidity of the mouth. The alkalinity also offsets the acid effect of foods, particularly the acid foods of today.

The clay is a double-whammy: each clay particle is bi-valent. The flat surface of a plate-let is positively charged and the edges are negatively charged. This allows the particles to attach to almost anything, tending to destroy the cell walls of micro-organisms. Another factor with clay is the very tiny particles — you need an SEM to see individual clay particles — simply clog-up the eating and breathing functions of an organism. (A clay-clogged stream, for instance, will be devoid of most life within a few days.)

I get my clay from “california earth minerals dot com.” (I am not associated with them.)

As a mouthwash, I use a saturated mix of water and baking soday, with a bit of peppermint oil to reduce the taste of the baking soda.