Recipe: Green Smoothie

by Suz on September 29, 2012 · 8 comments

in Recipe

Now we’re coming into summer, it’s a great time to enjoy an ice cold Paleo Smoothie. Instead of relying on fruit, it’s far better to make green smoothies using vegetables.

Almond butter and coconut milk are great ways to add in some good fat.

Smoothie Ingredients

1 frozen banana
8 frozen strawberries
30g (2 tablespoons) almond butter
250ml (1 cup) coconut milk
250g (2 cups) spinach

Green Smoothie Paleo Diet

Method

Freeze a (peeled) banana and some strawberries overnight in the freezer.

Put the bananas, strawberries, almond butter and coconut milk in the blender.

Fill the rest of the blender with spinach (kale would also work well, if you can get hold of it!)

Blend, and enjoy!

Do you often make smoothies? What are your favourite ingredients? Share in the comments below.

kahiba September 29, 2012 at 9:38 am

I love a nice cold smoothie. For my lunch yesterday I used 100g frozen banana, 100g frozen strawberries, 1/2 a carrot chopped, handful of spinach, a couple of broccoli florets, 1 egg and 100ml coconut milk. A meal in a glass. Actually it made 2 full glasses. It’s the first time I’ve used carrots but it was a very nice addition.

Suz October 1, 2012 at 12:36 am

I haven’t tried broccoli before – I’ll have to give it a go! Carrots are great in a smoothie!

Lill September 30, 2012 at 1:46 am

One of my favorites is mango watermelon, I add a few nuts & bit of coconut milk, tasty.

Suz October 1, 2012 at 12:36 am

That sounds like a great combination Lill!

Lars October 1, 2012 at 10:30 am

Making one right now!

Ryan Thorr October 28, 2012 at 2:10 am

I was wondering for a minute there about taste! I guess there’s enough natural fructose in the banana and strawberry to give this smoothie a fairly decent taste.

Laura March 10, 2013 at 1:49 am

I’m new to the paleo diet and loving it so far! I was super excited to find this smoothie recipe since I thought I would have to give up smoothies when I gave up dairy/peanuts. My only question is can something be substituted for the almond butter? I do have some but it’s a bit pricey for me to buy too often. I didn’t know if I could put actual nuts in the smoothie or if an avocado would work. I’m not very good yet with tweaking/making up recipes.

Thanks for your help!

Laura

Mark May 7, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I use JJ Virgin’s All-in-One Protein Powder (chai, vanilla, or chocolate) as a base ( 2 scoops). Add in 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk. 1/2 avocado, 1T ground flax seeds, 1 scoop Amazing Grass Greens, 1/2-1tsp of tumeric, 1T coconut oil, 1T Inner-Eco coconut kefir, 1/2-1 cup of kale or spinach, 40-60g of blackberrries or raspberries (usually organic, frozen). Sometimes in place of the 1T of coconut oil, I’ll add in a Tbsp of almond butter. On occasion, I’ll add half of an expresso to the mix. Love it – addicted to these things every morning.