Primal Smoothies

by Suz on March 12, 2012 · 10 comments

in Books, Recipe

I’ve started to have smoothies some mornings when I’m in a particular rush, since they are so quick to make and can be packed with nutritionally dense Paleo foods.  I’m also going to start making up a smoothie to take to the gym with me – that way I’ll be able to have something in the post work-out window – I often miss this valuable time, in my return from the gym.

Paleo Primal Smoothies

Today I tried a smoothie from Primal Toad’s Toadally Primal Smoothies ebook, the “Clumsy Popeye”. I thought this one would be a good choice after an early morning gym session, as it is packed with antioxidants – and protein in the form of protein powder.

Paleo Smoothies

I put water, frozen blueberries, cashew butter, Chocolate Primal Fuel, spinach coconut milk & ice in my blender for a few minutes – and then served, with some shredded coconut on top.  It doesn’t get much easier than that!  I thought the spinach taste might not be to my liking, but the main tastes were the chocolate, coconut and cashews – I really enjoyed it and will definitely be making this one again.  There’s a whole section on green smoothies, which I’m keen to try – it seems like a good way to get in lots of good nutrients.

Do you often have smoothies?  Are they something you have as a meal, or as a post workout recovery drink?

Lisa March 25, 2012 at 7:55 am

Hi Suz, where can we get primal fuel from here in Oz…or do we have to pay ridiculous shipping costs from US?

Suz March 27, 2012 at 4:45 pm

HI Lisa, I’ll find out if there is another method of getting it in Australia and I’ll report back!

Sylvia April 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Have you guys checked out 180 Nutrition yet? Here’s the link, to another great Australian site..:-

There is a little video you can watch, too…it stacks up against Primal Fuel well….and it’s Aussie!!

I haven’t tried it yet, but would like to..I’ve heard it’s yummy….

I’m a believer in all tings Aussie, where possible….worth checking out…

Blessings
Sylvia x

Sylvia April 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Oh, sorry Suz, I didn’t realise it had nuts in it!! Am I correct in saying you don’t eat nuts & seeds? Oh, well, it was a great idea, it’s one of the better products in the scheme of things, & uses Stevia as it’s sweetener, only 3 grams per 100 grams. I was a bit surprised that the Primal Fuel doesn’t list all it’s ingredients and the Nutritional Panel per 100 grams….what are they hiding?
Suz, are the ingredients ok with you as listed on the packaging?
I’m a big researcher from way back, & am always wary of products that don’t show you all their ingredients on their site….and the whole Nutrition Panel.

Sorry if I got you all excited!!

Blessings
Sylvia x

Suz April 4, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I do eat nuts and seeds – I just try to limit the nuts as they are easy to overdo!
Mark Sisson is very open about the ingredients he uses – it’s in the second tab http://primalblueprint.com/products/Primal-Fuel.html
I think the ingredients in Primal Fuel are far superior to many other protein powders that I’ve looked at.

Rhi June 3, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Is there anything else I can substitute for the Primal Fuel? Could I just use cacao powder?

Elissa June 10, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I bought the 180nutrition protein supplement and its quite tasty and yes it is quite nutty and not very sweet, I use it after a workout and it keeps me full for hours and keeps me regular hence the psyllium husks lol. I have one of these a day as part of my workout recovery and I am quite pleased with it. Yes it is easy to overdo the nuts Suze hence why I limit myself to 10 otherwise I would be eating them all day like popcorn, very moreish!

Elissa June 10, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I meant 10 raw almonds not 10 protein shakes hahaha

Beth July 9, 2012 at 10:04 am

Isn’t Primal Fuel made from whey protein? Which originates from milk and defeats the purpose of cutting out dairy?? Would love some clarification.

Suz July 10, 2012 at 9:33 am

Hi Beth, Yes it is – and of course real food is by far the best option. But a lot of people still use protein powders and of those available Primal Fuel uses the best quality ingredients, but is not stricly Paleo.