Cutting Back on Fruit

by Suz on November 7, 2011 · 9 comments

in Food

I’ve definitely started to notice there are a lot more Paleo friendly stories in the media recently.  Perhaps the tide is finally turning?

I used to eat a lot of fruit and was always under the impression that you could never have too much.  It’s good for you, right?  Since I’ve got more and more into Paleo I’ve drastically cut back my fruit consumption from several pieces a day – down to maybe one or two pieces a week.  Fruit contains a lot of fructose, which means it elevates blood sugar.  I limit my carbohydrate intake in my Paleo diet, so fruit doesn’t feature very often.  I’ve been feeling great since I’ve been limiting carbohydrates, so I’m definitely on the right track.

When I do have fruit, I make sure I go for something in season.  I also choose a fruit with a good nutritional profile, and a lower fructose content.  Berries are a really good choice as they contain antioxidants and relatively lower sugar than many other fruits.  Now we’re almost coming into summer fresh berries are becoming more and more abundant, so it’s definitely time to enjoy them.  I eat a wide variety of good quality grass-fed organic meat and vegetables, so I am certain I am not missing out any nutrients by omitting regular fruit from my diet.

First Cherries of the Season

The Sydney Morning Herald posted an article this weekend on the role of sugar in obesity, in which Dr Taylor talks about how he believes sugar, not fat is behind the rise in obesity.  Dr Taylor is running the Epworth Sweet Study in Melbourne where 100 participants are restricting carbohydrate (and fruit) intake, with positive results.

Hopefully articles like this will become more and more common place.

Have you limited your fruit intake?  Which types of fruit do you value the most?

Dean Ouellette November 7, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I have cut back to about 2-3 pieces a month and it has allowed me to get my weight loss coming again. I am still in the mode of dropping weight, about another 10-15 to go and it has made a difference.

Suz November 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm

That’s great to hear it made such a difference Dean, it’s definitely worth cutting back!

Lars T November 9, 2011 at 7:48 am

I rarely eat or buy fruit. If I do, it’s usually an asian pear as those usually top at 15 grams of carbohydrates.

Suz November 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Didn’t realise they were so good, will have to see if we have those over here!

Alice Claussen November 15, 2011 at 4:46 am

I have also cut back on fruit. I noticed it triggers my carb cravings and stops my weight loss process. I’m back to the Atkins Induction now so I’ve cut the fruit back to zero except for avocados, but my case is somewhat extreme since I have a thyroid misfunction that makes me put on weight realy easy. I hope I’ll be able to reintroduce berries soon, but definitely my beloved bananas and papayas will have to stay out of my life forever.

Suz November 15, 2011 at 9:20 am

You never know, perhaps after time you may find bananas and papayas, in moderation, can be tolerated?

ajsincl March 27, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I also have hypothyrodism, but i have been eating lots of fruit and nuts along with the meat and veggies. i am losing the weight, since my stomach has reduced since i stopped eating the grains, and i need the fruit to keep to prevent constipation. i try and keep the fruit down to 2-3 peices a day. So much fruit is available it is hard to decide what to eat. Maybe i need more veggies to replace the fruit.

Suz March 27, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Definitely worth trying to swap some of the fruit for veg – and making sure the fruit is varieties that are lower in fructose, like berries for instance. Well done on the weight loss!

Elissa April 10, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Since reading Sweet Poison by David Gillespie I have cut back on fruit to maybe 1-2 serves a day if that, usually just tomato or a handful of blueberries, that fructose scares me! I have upped my green vege intake alot of spinach, kale and rocket. YUM.